3-4 Brookside, Temple Ewell, Dover, Kent CT16 3DT
Tel 01304 822665
Fax 01304 828937 For more information use the USEFUL LINKS to locate the schools webpage
Temple Ewell School lies in the centre of the village of Temple Ewell. It is surrounded by hills and trees and has retained the ambience of a village school despite the rate and pace of change in today’s society. It has even inspired a poem “The Tracks and the Tombstones” by Brian Moses!The school dates back to 1871. Therefore it is not surprising that there remains a feel of history to the school that can become living and immediate to the children here today. Previously the children were educated in the Church itself and the old buildings you can see where build through the commitment of the Reverend C H Lipscombe. The main building was finished in 1871 at a total cost of £900.00. It consisted of a large classroom that at times held over one hundred children aged 7 – 14 years. After the money for building was raised from serveral sources, the Lord of the Manor then contributed £10.00 to making the school lane, with two of the managers agreeing to find enough stones for the road!We have progressed from the time in 1913 when water for painting had to be fetched from the village pump at the end of the lane! Gas lighting was substituted for oil lamps in the school in 1902. Electric lighting did appear for another fifty years, no until 1952!In the mid 60’s three additional classrooms were added. The Millenium Hall funded and jointly owned by both School and Church was added in October 2000, along with a smaller mobile classroom and with the school hall and school house, make up Temple Ewell School as it is today.Adjucent to the school is the large George V Playing Field. Although it is owned by the Parish Council, we have full use during the day for break and lunchtimes and for sporting activities.